Follow Me

       

I'm Mizu and a beauty blogger from Malaysia since 2010. I'm very passionate in beauty and addicted to Korea Cosmetics. I love making friends all over the world besides enjoying mangas and animes.

Welcome to my blog

Thursday, June 26, 2014

[REVIEW] Etude House Play 101 Pencil


Hello there!
I'm so excited to review these multi-purpose pencils from Etude House that I received last week from Testerkorea. I wish I could get more but since my Paypal transfer limited only to RM500 per transfer and I don't know why, so I can't buy more than that. Plus, buying more than that is risky for getting my parcel detain. I don't want that to happen.

Only got nine pencils for now.


Sorry for the unseemly looking tip. Two of them were dropped by mistake and I don't sharpen them on purpose to show how soft it was.

I really don't know this before because there aren't any websites that stated this :
These pencils are twistable. It means that you don't have to sharpen the outer black pencils to get the product. Every pencils are attached with cute tip sharpener in case you need precise lining.

 On top is the swatches on my palm and the bottom one is the swatches on a white paper.
Just to note that all the colours are showing similarities with the real swatches except for some of the white paper swatches. It's best to refer to my palm swatches.


It was really hard to choose the colours that I really liked because I know the real colour is different from the posters on their website. So I take a look at a lot of Korean blogs for the colours although the colours are quite confusing considering the lighting and sharpness of the pictures. I finally able to choose nine colours in total, well, actually a lot more.

If you head on to Kpoptown, they already describe each number of pencil for its texture and proposed use. So if you would like to make decision, please take a look at their translated posters first because each pencils came with different types of textures. I'm more to colours person so it doesn't matter if they're matte, glitter, creamy or glossy. But overall, I really like the glossy and creamy type because the glitter is a bit hard to blend after they dried.

About the sharpener attached at the end of the pencil, I'm glad that they did it because it's helpful for sharpening the tip but what I dislikes is when the tip is used for creamy or glossy type, it will cause a huge mess because the product into the sharpener hole. Cleaning thoroughly is needed after each sharpening.

Some of the glitter and matte type are waterproof and smudgeproof. All the other types can be smudge considering that most of them are used for eyeshadows and lip. I advised that if you would like to used the pencils on eyes, it's better to put on eyelid primer because it can easily creased after a few hours. Other than that, there is no scent for this product unlike other Etude House products.


No.10 - It looks a bit dark in the poster however it fit perfectly with my medium skin tone. It is matte but it is easy to blend. Perfect to be the lip concealer and conceal minor blemishes.


No.12 - This pencil is glossy and fit for lip. Although it is a multi-purpose pencil, I would not recommend this to be applied on top of eyelid because of the glossy texture. It is easily messed up and creased and it hydrates the lips the best. Pony called it "Vermilion Orange" which I think is the best describe the colour. To compare between poster advertisement and real swatch, it is quite the similar to each other.


No.18 - This is a subtle matte lavender. I'm so into purple trend right now and I'm thinking to get the No.19 as well but since I'm not too sure how this colour will turn out because I hadn't seen proper swatches for it so I took No.18 to try first. Although this is the matte type which is similar to No.10 however, I notice that it is quite hard to blend after it dries and the time taken for it to dry is really short. Quite a work with this. Pony using this as blusher and it also can be used as eye shadow. Real swatch and the poster picture is comparable.


No.23 - This is a pigmented glossy burgundy colour. It is similar to No.12 Vermilion Orange and I would recommend it only for lip. However, if you know some adjustments like adding a powder on top of the color to lessen the glossy texture, it would might work as eye shadow too. The poster advertisement colour is really different from the real swatch.


No.26 - Is a glitter type and falls into the creamy category considering the texture. It has gold glitters with it as the poster advertisement shown. The colour is a peachy pink and from the swatches, it has the exact colour as the Etude House Color Pop Drawing Show Creamy Pencil in PK103. Though it is glitter type but I find it quite creamy for me which I preferred. The poster picture is a bit misleading since this looks pinker.

No.29 - This is a shimmering type. It's a vampire purple in colour and it glides really easily. Suit to be an eye shadow or eyeliner. However if you want to use it as an eyeliner, it might disappear easily so it's best to top the colour with powder shadows.


No.44 - Because it is a glitter type, it feels a little rough when applied on skin and this applies to all glitter type pencils in this collection. It is a gold brown pencil colour and suit as an eye shadow.

No.47 - Is a copper coloured pencil. It glides easily and it is soft which is similar to the No.29. I really liked how this pencil glides on my skin because it is really soft. Suit to be an eye shadow.


No.50 - This is a black brown in colour and it is creamy type. I always used this as my eyeliner because it glides easily on eyes which at the same quite easy to be a mess. It is important to always sharpen the tip for eyelining or it will be everywhere and at the end of the day, most of the time my eyes would turn panda with this because it smudges easily..haha. So it's best to dab on powder shadows on top for longer resistance.


I'm using the pencils on my eyes and a little bit on lip. Colors used are No.10,18,23,26,29 and 50. I thought the eyes were pretty simple to do so I didn't do tuto but if you would like to, then I can add it later.


Thank you for reading :)

marvelikalife@gmail.com


15 comments:

Mizu said...

The pencils are definitely worth to try :D
I used it for the lipstick but only on the center. It can be quite drying if I don't prep my lips with lip balm.

Mizu said...

Yes, I'm tempting you to buy this! Worth a try :D
haha..I thought I'm gonna wait for another two colours to arrive but yeah, can't wait...haha

Mizu said...

Thank you so much~ Anyone can achieve this look :D

Mizu said...

hehe..terima kasih :) :D

Bijin Blair said...

Oooh I thought of getting #50 but it looks more black than brown? I want something that's more brown than black hahaha. #49 it shall be then, thanks for the swatches hun!

Mizu said...

It is black brown but looks more black..haha..yup..u should getting the lower number then..:)

Chee Z said...

Ohh so pretty! I just got 4 for myself, and they are so pigmented and smooth! Agree that some smudges, but it's still a great product, thanks for the review and swatches!

ohsowai said...

The colors you picked all suit you incredibly well! :) Thank you so much for the review. <3
P.S.: Hello fellow Malaysian! (I was born in Malaysia heh xD)

Steph said...

The colours your picked are really pretty especially #23 and #29. I was thinking of buying some but because there were too many choices I decided not to buy any in the end >__<" I love how they're multipurpose ^^


Steph | datewithsteph.blogspot.co.uk

Mizu said...

yup, definitely a creative inventions. It's light and portable too :D
You're much welcome :)

Mizu said...

Haha..hi there! I only picked them because I liked the colours :) It was quite hard to choose since I can't swatches them before buying.

Mizu said...

You definitely have to try some :D It's great and can create your creativity with it :D

Frl Schnee said...

Very nice color range. 23 looks like 22, which I tried. I never used 10 as lip conceiler, but it is a nice idea, I will try this out next :D 26 and 29 are nice colors, btw :)

Mizu said...

Oh, I guess 22 and 23 doesn't have much difference.

Sabrina Tajudin said...

Everything just so nice... love how versatile they are. can be use for both eye and lips.

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I'll get back as soon as possible :D